Anyone suffering from back pain can benefit from acupuncture. Regardless of the cause of the pain or the area afflicted, acupuncture balances the energy for improved overall health. It also triggers a cascade of the brain’s natural pain relieving chemicals to provide relief and detoxifies the body to reduce inflammation. Individuals experiencing the following have found acupuncture to be an effective solution:
- Those with acute back pain due to a sprain, strain, or tear caused by heavy lifting, poor posture, and injury will find relief quickly and naturally. In fact, it typically takes only six to 12 sessions to treat a mild condition. Spasmed muscles that commonly accompany such injuries, respond extremely well to acupuncture. The process of inserting the needles unties the knots and loosens the muscles and ligaments. The body’s natural healing response is engaged for long term results.
- Chronic back pain due to a bulging disc, arthritis, and other conditions has also proven to be no match for acupuncture. By stimulating chemicals in the brain that change the perception of pain, it can reduce the use of medications and steroid injections. Chronic back pain has an underlying root that can’t merely be covered up with pharmaceuticals. Instead, acupuncture for back pain gets to the bottom of the problem to create lasting change. Improving the flow of Qi and relieving blood stagnation results in better circulation, less aching, and reduced stiffness.
- Sciatica is another cause of back pain and often radiates down the buttocks and leg. It’s extremely painful and treatment should consist of strengthening the related body systems and healing mechanisms. The insertion of needles at both local and distal points is used for all types of back pain and sciatica in particular. It will loosen the muscles and enhance Qi, but also jump start the rebuilding process.
- Persistent low back pain has been the subject of various studies. Acupuncture was found to be more effective than usual care for treating the condition. It helped individuals sleep better, gave them more mobility, allowed them to engage in activities, and reduced pain. The benefits continued to last for months after ending acupuncture treatment.
- Acupuncture also treats related conditions such as neck pain and shoulder pain.
Combining acupuncture with massage, exercise, and a healthy diet will allow you to get back to the activities you enjoy. Back pain can be a thing of the past with regular acupuncture sessions. Your acupuncturist will formulate a unique treatment plan that addresses the cause of your pain, as well as the symptoms.